Thursday, May 8, 2014

Social Media Tools



TWITTER

My Twitter account is just over a year old. I first started connecting with friends and associates. Then, my jazz performances were elevated to new heights, and Twitter became a way for me to promote and share pictures from my shows with my followers. Little did I know, I was about to learn how Twitter can duplicate itself into masses of people; those with whom we are most and least familiar, alike. After a while, I would post an announcement, then my performance venue would post another, and boom!  Two Tweets were sent out to over 100 tweeters who then, retweeted to their 1,000 followers, who then retweeted the same message to their 10,000 followers. Suddenly, there are tweeters requesting and interested in following me, following my passions, following my interests.

Although, I am still a newbie, I like what I see and am pleased when a minimum of 5-10 tweeters per performance become followers. These numbers are at the bare minimum, but there are other causes and passions that can become massive movements on Twitter, which mimics the voice of the world in the millions. Twitter has proven to be a new social media tool that reaches audiences most effectively.                   

According to the AIDS.gov website, Twitter is a social networking service that allows you to share information, ask questions, and connect with people and organizations around common interests. The Library of Congress digitally archives every public tweet (AIDS.gov, 2014). 

Most fascinating is who is using Twitter; the numbers tell the story.

  • 8% of U.S. Internet users use Twitter on a typical day;
  • 20.6 million U.S. adults access Twitter at least once a month;
  • 24% of Twitter users check tweets several times a day; and
  • 177 million tweets are sent every day (AIDS.gov, 2014).

Recently, Twitter played a major role in bringing awareness to the news of 300 school girls having been abducted in Nigeria by terrorists. As a result of Twitter and other social media sites, the story became a global movement within days of the first tweet with the hashtag of #BringBackOurGirls. Twitter is making a difference in how we share news.


MASHUPS


Years ago, I stopped calling for directions and started using www.googlemaps.com to help me get where I needed to go. I used to write down the directions, now I print them out from website, complete with detailed maps showing me how to get there by car, bus, bicycle or via walking. I had no idea this service had another name and is connected to other useful features. Enter ...  MashUps.

Most people think of Google Maps in terms of finding a place or business, or getting directions from one point to another. Others use the satellite images and terrain mapping features. But there are tons of other uses out there for Google maps. From mapping the weather and news to mapping things that aren't maps at all, like paintings or magazines, Google Maps has a lot to offer. And there are free tools available out there for those who want to use the Google Maps API without doing a bunch of coding. Here are more than 100 of the best mashups and tools out there right now (Chapman, 2009).

These mashups and tools can be found in news, weather and political applications such as iMap Weather, and in travel and transportation such as Most Dangerous Roads on Earth. Applications can also be found on subjects concerning climate change, housing and real estate, education and history, and much more.

Mashups is putting millions of people in touch with resources.  According to a Google forum, there are roughly 55 Million unique visitors each month [to Google Maps] in the US (Google Groups, 2010).  That was posted in 2010, so you can only image what the numbers amount to today!  Now that I know there’s more to Google Maps, I’ll be seeking to connect more in the above mentioned areas. 

FACEBOOK

 
Everyone seems to be on Facebook. I have been a member since 2009, and it has been a journey, from barely signing in, to checking in on a daily basis, if only just to peek and post or like and comment. For privacy reasons, I chose to not link my account to this blog, but post a “getting started” link, instead. 

Facebook has allowed me the opportunity to remain in touch with my family, with alumni, with associates and colleagues, and with my fan base. Over the years, I have learned to use and appreciate it event/calendar feature, which I use to invite my 1,000+ “friends” to my performances, backed by Evite.com.  I also enjoy posting pictures, quotes and scriptures related to family, life, and spirituality.

According to AIDS.org, the number of people using Facebook varies, as seen below:

  • 67% of online adults use social networking sites;
  • Facebook has one billion active users as of October 2012; and
  • 584 million Facebook users log on to the site daily (AIDS.gov, 2014).

Facebook also is being used by businesses, organizations, associations and media to promote and bring about awareness of their brand or product.  Facebook is also known for starting social movements such as in the Travon Martin case, and raising money to assist victims, such as Tripp Halstead, the little boy in Georgia who became disabled after a tree crushed him at his school

It is for these reasons and more that Facebook has become a household name. To have a page, or to not have a page -- one has to question their purpose for its use in their life, and find meaning in keeping the account open, if only to peruse and learn about what’s on the minds of their fellowman. 

Closing out this blog, no matter which new social media tool you use or try, do your research to learn about all that fits your lifestyle and serves your needs. Remain open to trying new applications, and don't be surprised to find one designed ... just for you!

References

AIDS.gov (2014). Twitter. New media tools. AIDS.org. Retrieved from http://aids.gov/using-new-media/tools/twitter/index.html

Chapman, C. (2009). Google maps: 100 best tools and mashups. Mashable.com. Retrieved from http://mashable.com/2009/01/08/google-maps-mashups-tools/

Google Groups (2010). How many people use Google maps? Google Groups. Retrieved from https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/PC2WFMCDc_U.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Anita! I use Google Maps almost everyday to find places around town when I am on a tight schedule or going out of town. I remember when I would print MapQuest directions only to read and drive at the same time. So dangerous. Now Google maps just tells me when and where to turn on my phone. So nice. I had no clue that you could use Google Maps for other things! I will definitely check it out and see what else will be beneficial to me. Thanks for sharing that!

    Kareta

    ReplyDelete